Search This Blog

Saturday, September 8, 2007

This is what Bravery looks lke - CA Vacation

Truly my pictures don't do it justice but through my eyes you are getting just a small glimpse of what bravery must look like. If you look closely in the little red circle that I have positioned in the layout below you might be able to make out the figures of two climbers. What ? Can't see it? Me either so I blew them up for you. Sorry the resolution isn't so hot but you can make out their outlines and tell that they are people.

My photographs don't even begin to tell the story of just how amazing these climbers are. This was one of my favorite things to do while in Yosemite. We would drive to the base of El Capitain on the valley floor meadow and while the rest of my party would relax under a shade tree I would sit out in the meadow for hours looking for climbers on the wall. I would scan for them with my naked eye and once I honed in on them I would then drag out my binoculars to get a better look. For me this was spellbinding to watch them slowly make their way up the wall while dragging 40 to 50 pounds worth of gear behind them.
I was lucky enough to encounter a climber who had just descended the wall and he told me that it takes about five to seven days to climb from the bottom to the top. I truly can't imagine spending a week hanging off of a wall much less than taking my own life in my hands. To me these people are truly amazing.

I'd like to show you more but my best advice that I can give is to take a trip to Yosemite to see it for yourself. I think it's a trip that you'll never forget.

No comments: