Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Adventures in Grocery Shopping



I'm trying my hand at being a good steward of what God gave us and that means trying to manage our money more responsibly. To do this we are trying to keep a budget and cut expenses where possible. Let's face it the economy stinks and we are all feeling the effects. Food shopping is a great place for us to cut some fat out of our budget and save a little money. I went to Publix today and here is what I purchased:

Product Quantity
Deli Drinks 1
Bread 1
Hostess Shortcake 1
Strawberries 2
Broccoli/Cauliflower Melody 1
Eggplant 1
Old El Paso Taco Kit 1
Frozen Onions 1
Ginger Ale 1
Trop OJ Singles 2
Super Pretzel 2
Knox Gelatin 1
Plum Tomatoes 1
Green Giant Mushrooms 2
Progresso Bread Crumbs 2
Coffee Mate Creamer 4
Crisco Olive Oil 2
Progresso Chicken Broth 2
Mahatma Rice 1
Purina One Dog Food 2
Frost Honey Turkey Lunch Meat 1
Frost Honey Ham Lunch Meat 1
Smuckers Uncrustable 2
Purex Laundry Soap 6
Pillsbury Sweet Rolls 1

The grand total before coupons was $97.74. I then presented the cashier with my coupons. Total after coupons was $44.37. I saved a total of $53.37 in manufacturers coupons, Publix store coupons and competitor store coupons. Total saved at Publix with coupons and BOGOs was $104.84.

I saved a total percentage of 54% on this shopping trip. Amazing!

As this adventure continues I'll try to post my savings and pictures of my purchases. It's a little time consuming to cut coupons, learn to stack and check websites for specials and deals but if we can continue to save money like this it will be worth it in the long run.

2 comments:

Lissie said...

This never fails to impress me..... :0)

Jenny Wood said...

You are awesome at this, Mary! I'm starting to use a few coupons from the store. My biggest problem was always remembering the coupons but now I have a system that works so I need more coupons! What websites do you use? That would be a great blog post. I don't get the paper any more so don't have those coupons.

Thanks for the inspiration!